The Old War Horse Lawyers Club was organized in 1952 by a group of Atlanta lawyers who wanted to organize a private club for local lawyers with membership limited to about 450 because there were “too many lawyers practicing in Atlanta.” On September 11, 1952, Ben W. Fortson, Jr., Secretary of State of the State of Georgia, certified Old War Horse Lawyers Club, Inc. to be incorporated as requested by a petition signed by John R. Slaton, Robert Blackburn, Carl F. Hutcheson and Philip H. Alston. The Club’s motto is “we aim at nothing and seldom miss.”
The name of the Club was chosen recognizing that: “Old lawyers occupy a similar position to that of old war horses, often bearing the battle scars of numerous court trials, and further realizing that such old lawyers appreciate the pleasure of occasional social functions and fellowship.”
The Board of Governors includes all living and active Past Presidents of the Club, a President, First Vice President/President-Elect, Second Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. The Club employs an Executive Director to handle the routine administration and operation of the corporation.
The Club hosts only two social events a year: a dinner and dance in June and a dinner featuring a guest speaker in November.
As long as the membership is 450 or less, current members of the Club may invite other lawyers to join and serve as sponsor for those prospective members. Applications are submitted to the Executive Director at P. O. Box 941340, Atlanta, GA 31141. Annual dues are $75.00.